Sunday, December 7

Critiques and news galore

Once again, I find myself apologizing for having fallen off the face of the Earth. And again, due to homework, exams, and all that. Soon enough I shall begin to sound like a broken record.

But now that I'm back here (eventually), we might as well get down to business. In this week's news... I've been getting some new critique, mainly on the soap-bubble photo and the wire photographer (Note to self: Do start naming your photographs). And sadly, I don't really know what to make of it, considering how mixed the opinions were. Some liked them with great enthusiasm - even amusement, in the case of "the photographer", some found them bland, uninspiring, and downright bad. So either I'm smack in the middle of the fuzzy line between sublime and ridiculous, or one "side of the fence" is biased - "which one?" being the million dollar question here. Which brings us to a bit of a dilemma. Although I can't help but agree with some of the points made (on "soap-bubbles", for instance - too much noise, the bubbles should have been actual bubbles, instead of light trails), I wouldn't go so far as to name either of the two photos "pointless", and they have been named so. But then again, I would be the very definition of "biased" in this situation, so I suppose I'll just have to wait for the scales to tip in one direction or the other.

And now, having concluded this week's equivalent of handing over one's report card to one's parents, I'll proceed to the "In other news" section.
So in other news...

A couple of days ago I received my first actual post comment. Which - being proof that some are kind enough to stop and read for a second, and not just hit the StumbleUpon button again - naturally caused a most childishly giddy reaction in yours truly. Reaction that I will refrain from describing, for the sake of my dignity.

Also in other news, I've been spending the little spare time I've had lately, on designing some stickers to promote this place. Once I've come up with a draft I'm happy with, I'll shamelessly resort to sticking these around town - hopefully, not so shamelessly that it'll be called vandalizing public property. I should find some charitable and morally impeccable soul to drag around with me, just for the occasional reality check. But more on that in next week's "other news".

And last, but simply not least, I have just yesterday received a darling little present that I'm really excited about, in the shape and size of an ant farm. Which can only mean that over the course of the following couple of weeks or so, one will have the opportunity to observe a dorky little person with a big camera around her neck, going around chasing ants and slapping "home-brewed" stickers on ant hills. Twist my arm hard enough and I might even let you know how that turned out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! You should have a thread on that ant farm.. Of course, linking it somehow with the topic of photos. I'm quite curious to know how it's like to actually own such a... "pet".

Catalina said...

Hello, there!
I am actually planning on putting the ant farm to good use and maybe having a "study in macro" post. Maybe even more, if the little dumplings provide me with enough material. The only problem is that I might have to wait until spring to collect the ants.

Either way, now that I know I have actual readers (thanks for visiting, by the way), I'll be sure to keep you nice folks posted on my ant collecting endeavors.

GunGrave said...

Well isn't that just the nicest thing. The classic ant farm, a perky , creative gift that just begs the start of a mini social experiment.
I imagine this is probably the best way to get to know God...by having just a fragment of the fun He's been enjoying, watching us scurry about , worrying about climate change, economic instability and why the hell the Spice Girls decided to rejoin forces.

Normally when a girl gets such a present, what soon follows is a pink background table filled with names like Sally and Ben...but I hope that's not the case.
In fact...I'm sure you won't be able to resist conducting small experiments on the soon to be numbers 1 to ... I'm guessing maybe 20.

Expect feedback on the ups and downs of playing mini God.