Sunday, November 23

Milestones, statistics and critiques, oh my!

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen, and what a fine morning it is! The sun is shining gleefully in the sky, birds are singing perched up in the trees, and the joyful presence of unique visitor number one hundred was bestowed last night upon my humble little corner of the Internet. Joy to the world, I have an audience! Gosh, I suppose I'd better watch what I say from now on.

And we now return to our regularly scheduled program. Today's happens to include critique report for Sunrise. It was generally well liked, mostly due to the colors and the framing, and basically the only thing people seemed to find wrong with it (or at least would comment on) was its lack of sharpness. And now the more I look at it, the more I tend to agree.

Someone once told me - and I'm starting to think this is the best photography advice I've ever received - that the final result is all that counts. No one cares if I had to do a somersault or stand on my head to take a particular photo and nobody is going to cut me any slack if it's still a bad photo.

So far from it that I'm saying this as an excuse rather than a simple explanation, but no, I didn't have a tripod and it was also a little too chilly for comfort. It's actually quite a funny story - I did technically own one, only it was a present and I wasn't going to receive it until a couple of days later. C'est la vie... There's always the next photo.

Anyway, despite the generally positive critique, none of those who commented were overly vocal about it, which confirms my original suspicion that my Sunrise falls within the category of "close, but no cigar". I suppose that's a critique in itself and a very constructive one at that.

No comments: